This is a list of 101 ideas to make or save money. These ideas won’t necessarily make you rich but that’s not the aim of this guide.
The ideas are more realistic so could be considered boring or even obvious. Never the less I felt the need to put them down on-screen. You may have seen a few of these old save some money chestnuts before.
See this list as a way of getting an extra bit of pocket-money or just ideas on how to save money. You will probably know about most of these but just in case you don’t, here they are.
Feel free to suggest some of your own ideas. The list includes both online and offline methods of making and saving money.
Make Money Selling your unused items.
1. Sell your unused items on eBay.
2.Complete paid surveys. For example on websites such as yougov.com. (Can take a while but you do get there eventually).
3.Take photographs of everyday items and sell them on websites such as iStockPhoto.com.
4. Turn your talent into money by offering services such as teaching people to play the piano or fixing computers.
Make Money with your own Website or Blog
5. Create an Affiliate Website.
6. Create a Blog and put some adverts on it. Don’t expect to get rich overnight though. It takes a lot of hard work and most people will give up before they even make their first dollar or pound.
Make Money with Computer Programming
7. Make an iPhone or Android App and sell it.
8. Design Websites for other People and charge for the service.
9. Make a WordPress Plugin and ask people to donate if they found it useful.
Are you good with Adobe Photoshop?
10. Design Company Logos and sell them.
11. Design Website Templates.
Make money by Saving Money
12. Stop buying your morning Coffee and put the money in some form of savings device. IE a Piggy Bank. It will soon mount up.
13. Shop around for everything you buy, for example Car Insurance, Health Insurance and Food Shopping.
14. Pay off your Credit Cards as soon as you can to reduce the amount of Interest you have to pay. That’s money back in your pocket.
Make money doing Extra Work
15. Take on an extra part-time job on top of your existing job.
16. Take up overtime if it is available.
17. Ask your boss for a Salary Increase.
18. Work towards getting a promotion.
19. Get a higher paying job.
20. Start your own Web Hosting Company.
21. Sell your Knowledge on a Consultancy Basis.
22. Enter online competitions. You never know, you might win something you could then sell.
Be Savvy with your Money
23. Use a Cash back shopping site when you are shopping online.
24. Reclaim Bank Charges.
25. Reclaim Credit Card Charges.
26. Sit down and take a look at how much you spend per month. Check to see if you can reduce that expenditure or get things cheaper.
27. Always aim to pay off your Credit Card in Full at the end of the month.
28. Use a Cash Back Credit Card. However only do this if you can pay it off each month. Otherwise the interest will defeat the object.
Save Money with your Car
29. Some companies will pay you to allow them to advertise on your car.
30. Drive Sensibly and combine smaller journeys. Less fuel used equals more money for you.
31. Clean your car yourself rather than paying someone else to do it.
32. Shop around for Breakdown Cover.
33. Where possible, ditch the car and walk instead.
34. Get rid of the Gas Guzzler and opt for a car that’ s more economical.
35. Perform regular servicing and maintenance on your car. If you look after your car, it will generally look after you and your wallet or purse or whatever you keep your money in.
Save Money on Holidays
36. Save up for your annual vacation rather than putting yourself into debt.
37. Shop around for the best deal on your Currency Exchange.
38. Shop around for the best deal on your Holiday. Check if there are any special deals or discounts.
Negotiate to increase your earnings
39. If you are paying for a Service such as cable TV, ring them up and see if they can offer a better deal. Usually start by saying I am thinking of leaving because the price is too high.
40. Make sure that you are getting the best interest rate on your savings.
41. Put your money into an ISA as it is tax-free.
42. Save all your change, IE if you spend £21.75 in a shop, transfer the other 25 pence into your savings account and watch it mount up over a month.
Be Green and Save Money on Energy Bills
43. Use energy-saving light bulbs. They cost less to run than conventional bulbs.
44. Wash at 30 degrees Celsius. Most washing powders can work at that temperature. Some can work as low as 15 Degrees Celsius.
45. Turn off devices when they are not in use rather than leaving them on standby. Less electricity used equals a smaller bill.
46. Use rechargeable batteries. Over time you will save money vs buying throw away ones.
47. Only fill up your kettle with what you need or the minimum amount the kettle requires. It will require less energy to boil a smaller amount of water.
48. Turn off lights when they are not in use.
49. Turn the heat down and wear more clothing when it’s cold.
50. Hang up your Clothes to Dry rather than using a tumble dryer.
Save Money in your Home
51. If you have a spare room, rent it out.
52. If things stop working, try to fix them rather than going out and buying a replacement.
53. Shop around for a better mortgage deal.
54. Shop around for Home Insurance.
Save Money on Train Travel
55. Book in advance for train travel.
56. Avoid travelling at Peak Times.
57. It is sometimes cheaper to buy to single tickets rather than an open return ticket.
58. If you spend a lot of time travelling by train, buy a Railcard. It will save you money.
Save Money on Food and Drink
59. Buy in Bulk where possible. It is usually cheaper.
60. Buy Fruit and Veg from your local market stall.
61. Buy Meat products from your local Market stall.
62. Brew your own Beer or Wine.
63. Shop at a Cheaper Supermarket instead of your more upmarket one.
64. Skip the Pub and drink at home with your friends and family.
65. Reuse leftover food. You will be amazed at what you can do when you put your mind to it.
66. Give up smoking. It will save you a lot of money and helps improve your health.
67. Quit the Gym membership and go for runs instead.
68. Get a prepay Prescription Certificate.
Other Ideas on Saving and Making Money
69. If you live in an area that does not have car parks, rent out your drive whilst you are at work.
70. Take a course in DIY so that you can do jobs around the house yourself.
71. Learn new skills to help advance your career.
72. Grow your own Vegetables.
73. Check Online Voucher Code sites before making purchases.
74. Drink Tap water instead of paying for Bottled Water. If your tap water isn’t any good, get a Britta Water Filter.
75. Don’t live off Credit. Instead save up for the things you want.
76. Give yourself a set amount of money each week and stick to that amount.
77. Think before you buy. Take some time to consider your purchase. That way you will avoid buyers remorse.
78. Sign up to Spotify to listen to music for free. You can listen to around 20 hours of music per month for nothing.
79. Pay bills using Direct Debit. Some companies charge you when you make payment using another payment method.
80. Don’t get trapped by loyalty cards. If you have one, stop shopping at the place for a while. You will normally get some nice vouchers to tempt you to go back. Use the vouchers and repeat.
81. If you are paying for a Debt Management Plan, stop. StepChange and Payplan offer the same service for free.
82. Instead of buying books, go to your local Library instead. It’s free.
83. Make your own jewellery to wear or even sell for money.
84. Do a Car Boot Sale and clear out your clutter.
Saving Money at Christmas
85. Reuse the previous years gift bags you received.
86. Set a budget and stick to it no matter what. It is possible believe me.
87. Buy an Artificial Christmas Tree instead of a real one. It will save money.
88. Buy next years Christmas presents in the January Sales.
89. Make you own Christmas Gifts instead.
90. Do your Christmas shopping online instead of on the High Street.
Saving Money with your Telephone and Mobile Phone
91. Don’t pay to call 0870 numbers. Use this website to find alternative numbers.
92. Ditch the contract Mobile Phone and Switch to pay as you go if you don’t use your Mobile phone very often.
93. Sell your old mobile phones using services that pay cash for mobile phones. For example. Mazuma Mobile.
94. Avoid Ring tone and MP3 subscription services on your Mobile Phone, they cost a fortune and the amounts add up very quickly.
95. Shop around for your Mobile Phone Insurance.
96. Don’t use your Mobile Phone Abroad as it can be more expensive than using a pay phone.
A Few More Ideas on Saving and Making Money
97. Ask for free samples of Beauty Products or even other products.
98. Stop Gambling. You might be lucky and Win but most of the time you lose. Trust me I know.
99. Take a Shower instead of a Bath if you have a Water Meter Installed.
100. Make sure you are claiming all your Benefits and Tax Credits.
101. Aim to make a Saving of £5 per day on your life. You can do this using any number of the above suggestions.